some examples of what the federal government decides, and some examples of what state
3. What does the word legislative mean?
4. What is the legislative branch of the American political system?
5. Which branch of government decides the budget of the US?
6. The legislative branch consists of two chambers or houses; name them.
7. What does the word executive mean?
8. The office of President is the executive branch of the American political system.
Mention a few of the tasks of the President.
9. For how long can a person serve as President of the US?
10. The judicial branch of government is the Supreme Court. How does the Supreme Court
play a political role?
11. What is meant by saying that the American political system is a system of checks
12. How can the President check the power of Congress?
13. How can the Supreme Court check the power of the President and Congress?
14. How can the President influence the Supreme Court?
15. How can Congress influence the Supreme Court?
16. How can Congress check the powers of the President?
17. Who won the 1996 presidential election?
18. Who is the First Lady?
19. Who is the Vice President of the United States?
20. What party does the President belong to?
21. What is the name of the other big political party?
22. What is a primary election?
23. What happens at the national conventions of the political parties?
24. What does the word ballot mean?
25. What is the electoral college?
26. What does the word inauguration mean? When is Inauguration Day?
27. How many seats are there in the smallest chamber of Congress?
28. How many seats are there in the biggest chamber of Congress? How many of the
members of this chamber were up for election in 1996?
29. Which party won the majority in each of the two chambers of Congress in 1996?
30. What is the title of the leader of the executive branch in each of the 50 states?
31. Which of the two big parties most strongly favors reducing the power of the federal
government at the expense of the states?
32. Which of the two big parties has the most politicians who are against a
womans right to choose to have an abortion?
33. Which party is the most strongly against gun control?
34. Which party wants to reduce taxes the most?
35. What is Whitewater?
36. How did the parties finance the 1996 election campaign, and why is that question
still one of the most hotly debated topics in American politics?